Friday, August 22, 2008

Communion served through the border fence Sundays at Friendship Park

Ever since I became a fan of Friendship Park, I’d heard stories about its official dedication as a California State Park in August, 1971, at which then-First Lady Pat Nixon presided. Some stories had her asking that the fence be cut so she could greet the Mexican children on the other side; others had her speaking openly about her wishes that someday there would be no fence at all.

I’ve refrained from spreading this story too widely, because I didn’t have good corroboration of it … until now. Visit the link below to read the remarkable story and SEE PHOTOS OF PATRICIA NIXON REACHING THROUGH WHAT WAS THEN A SIMPLE, BARBED-WIRE FENCE.

I never thought I’d say it, but I find myself following in Pat Nixon’s footsteps. I’m not planning on cutting the fence, mind you, but at 3 p.m. this Sunday – and at 3 p.m. on every Sunday until further notice – I plan to serve communion through the fence to anyone who wants to receive it. You are always welcome to join me. Just remember to bring $5 for vehicle admission to the park and papers documenting your citizenship or residency.

Here’s the link to the Pat Nixon story: http://news.newamericamedia.org/news/view_article.html?article_id=555f6a6f5b0c8684b9e0451c9d85f5b1.

DirectionsFrom I-5 Exit West on Dairy Mart Road /Dairy Mart Road turns into Monument Road /
Follow Monument Road to Park Entrance /
Follow road inside park to Friendship Plaza, overlooking the beach
IMPORTANTAdmission to park is $5 per vehicle.Valid U.S. identification may be required.Expired car registration may be subject to fine.

John Fanestil
Executive Director
Foundation for Change
www.foundation4change.org
(619) 692-0527

No comments: